Dec 16, 2011

Tue, Dec 16, 1941: Uncle Sam

"Dear DeVere
"I've been intending to write and now I seem to have the time and plenty of it I'm riding the rails now.  You can probably tell that by the drifting of my printing Uncle Sam is taking me to a place where I can show how good a soldier I am. I'm a thinking he will find out... and May West too.... Mom wrote saying a few of the boys have enlisted from Southwestern. I hope they like the army as it is so vast a change from their normal ways of living. It's almost like a giant jig saw, you have to fit into all the angles then your a part of the army. The effective part."
-- Letter from Dale Sooter, age 21, on troop train, to my father, age 16, Winfield, Kans., December 16, 1941.  Dale Sooter was my father’s cousin.

No comments:

Post a Comment