Jun 10, 2015

Sun, Jun 10, 1945: anniversary

"Dear DeVere:- Mother thinks I should write you so here goes. Today is our 22nd wedding anniversary, we found on the table this morning a baking dish, Barbara and Stanley managed for it in Augusta last night, the creeks and rivers ar'ent nearly so high as they were 22 yrs ago.  It rained a little today but we need enough water to wet things up."

-- Letter from my grandfather, Bloomington, Kans., to my father, Boulder, Colo., Sunday, June 10, 1945.  My grandfather had almost missed his wedding, because of high water blocking roads in June 1923.  However, he managed to walk across a railroad bridge over the Walnut River to get to the church parsonage.  My grandmother grew up near my grandfather, but first met him enough to know his name when she was about twelve.  She said, “We went to practice for the Children’s Day service.  Leonard stood behind me and he kept pulling my hair.  I thought he was the awfullest thing I ever saw.”  They started dating about ten years later.

No comments:

Post a Comment