Aug 27, 2017

Wed, Aug 27, 1947: a woman's help

"Since 4 P.M this afternoon I've been living in our new home. Dad and I completed the job of moving in about that time.  How I could use a woman's help and advice in arranging the apartment!
"Of course, it was meticulously clean and neat; but many problems have arisen.  Where shall I put all of my books and records?  Needless to say bookshelf facilities are meager....
"What would you do if I were to welcome you into the apartment in January by presenting the wardrobe--all dirty for laundering?  That's not a fair question. It's purely hypothetical--the circumstance."

--Letter from my father, Protection, Kans., to my mother, Hutchinson, Kans., Wednesday, August 27, 1947. Protection is in southwestern Kansas, about 150 miles west of Winfield, in south central Kansas, where my father and mother went to college. He had a job teaching high school year for the 1947-1948 school year.  My mother finished up her bachelor's degree at Southwestern College that fall and joined my father in Protection after they married in January 1948.

No comments:

Post a Comment