Sep 1, 2013

Wed, Sept 1, 1943: a real setup



"Four years ago today Germany invaded Poland -- it seems like an age since I heard Vernon Hayes discuss and analyze the early phases of the war in Constitution class.  And then amid ominous predictions of the leaders of boys state, France fell.  Bert Hedges, director, made the speculation that it might not be possible to hold such meetings as Boys State in 1941.
On Dec. 7, 1941 I can remember as plain as can be George Reynolds bringing the news that Pearl Harbor had been bombed to the group of Kappa Rho fellows practicing basketball that Sunday afternoon in Stewart Field House.  Then, the possibility that I might be involved seemed faraway and unlikely.  Lowering the draft age to 18 resulted in my enlisting in the Navy on Nov. 19, 1942, and here I am -- 10 months later -- still an apprentice seaman at Cape Girardeau.  I wouldn't be mad if they kept me here for the rest of the war.  It's a real setup -- free college instruction, $50 a month, and regular sleep -- the temptation to stay up until long past midnight to cram for the next day's exam is eliminated."
--Letter from my father, Sidney DeVere Brown, Cape Girardeau, Missouri, to my aunt, Barbara Brown, Bloomington, Kans., Wednesday, September 1, 1943.  My father was in high school when Germany invaded Poland and France.   He was in college (and a month and a half from turning 17) when Japan bombed Pearl Harbor. 

No comments:

Post a Comment