Jan 27, 2014

Thu, Jan 27, 1944: Nazarene Church

"Incidentally last Sunday I had a rather novel experience.  I attended the Nazarene Church with a couple of sailors.  The first thing that caught my attention was their method of giving persons birthday recognition.  The birthday celebrant goes to the front, deposits his money, and proceeds to ring a small bell--one ring for each year of age.  Meanwhile the crowd joins in and everyone helps count the number of rings aloud.  This was all right for a 17 yr old girl, but my curiosity was aroused concerning the length of time required to count those of the aged and infirm.  My curiosity was soon put to rest when a woman of 59 went forward.  The crowd began 10 - 20 - 30 - 40 - 50 - 51 etc."
--Letter from my father, Cape Girardeau, Mo., to his family, Bloomington, Kans., Thursday, January 27, 1944.

No comments:

Post a Comment