Apr 30, 2014

Sun, Apr 30, 1944: you can take it

"Stanley went out in the pasture and announced on his return that his heifer has a calf, so you can imagine the smile on his face....
"I take it that navy life is somewhat different where you are now than it was going to school, but you can take it and live through it if the other fellow can."

--Letter from my grandfather, Bloomington, Kans., to my father, Camp Sampson, N.Y., Sunday, April 30, 1944.  My grandfather doesn’t seem to have much sympathy for my father feeling bad about being sent to boot camp.  My grandfather had served in the Army in World War I and been sent to France.  I don’t believe he saw any real action, but he was close enough to hear the guns fall silent when the armistice went into effect, on the eleventh hour of the eleventh day of the eleventh month of 1918.

No comments:

Post a Comment