Dec 16, 2014

Sat, Dec 16, 1944: ethusiastic patriot

[language warning] "Incidentally we sang the Japanese Dept. song [at a graduation ceremony] -- words by Henry Tatsumi.  He's the fellow, whom I mentioned previously -- the one who keeps his World War I service button and his Navy key prominently displayed. Tatsumi, though of Jap descent, is one of the most enthusiastic patriots, I've ever seen.  Most of the naval officers distinguished guests, and teachers on the stage apparently mumbled the words to 'The Star Spangled Banner', but Tatsumi sang it lustily -- I noticed."

-- Letter from my father, Boulder, Colo.,  to my uncle, Bloomington, Kans., Saturday, December 16, 1944.  On this day, December 16, the Battle of the Bulge began as Germans launched a counteroffensive along the German border.

No comments:

Post a Comment