Jul 14, 2013

Wed, Jul 14, 1943: a stack of black cats



“Last night was our Missionary meeting so I took Maude and Ina with me to Bob Winzer's where the meeting was held.  While we were there it started raining so we rushed around to start home and there were no lights on our car.  I asked Ella to follow me so we could see but when she got to their corner she turned off.  It was just pouring and as dark as a stack of black cats.  Ina happened to have a dim flashlight, so she held it out the window and occasionally with the help of lightning I could get a glimpse of the road.  We crawled along and managed to stay in the road until we got to Orrin's so he got his car out and lighted the way the rest of the way home.  Before I got here the roads were getting terribly slick.”
-- Letter from my grandmother, Bloomington, Kans., to my father, Cape Girardeau, Mo., Wednesday, July 14, 1943.

No comments:

Post a Comment