Oct 3, 2013

Sun, Oct 3, 1943: blanket leave

"I'm coming home, maybe, in the very near future.  Blanket leave will be issued to all trainees on the station starting on Saturday October 23 at 1 A.M.  The reason for the lateness of the starting hour is that our football team plays here the night before and Lieut. Morrissey evidently wants to insure a big crowd for the game. Also, our company has been assigned the task of marching and presenting some physical exercises for the crowds half-time entertainment....Tell Dad to have all the work he wants done lined up and Barbara to have my phonograph in good shape.  Stanley can have a piano solo prepared or maybe a vocal solo would be more reasonable, and Mom can prepare the bed, so I can spend the most of my leave asleep."

-- Letter from my father, Cape Girardeau, Mo., to his family, Bloomington, Kans., family, Sunday, October 3, 1943.  This was my father’s first leave after joining the Navy in July 1943.

No comments:

Post a Comment