Jul 27, 2016

Sat, Jul 27, 1946: funny notions

“I bet you think I’ve fallen in.  But I haven’t.  Now the problem is to get two weeks into less than a pamphlet. Well, I can’t be as detailed as I’d like.  Somehow last week was simply swamped and rushed.  If only I had a typewriter now!  Well – I made the preacher’s wife jealous in California [a town in Missouri]….
“I am anxiously awaiting further discussion of later summer plans.  It looks as if Dot’s folks could take me to St. Louis & I could leave from there.  However, I will do what you want me to.  I promised this summer to go where sent & conduct myself as a good servant of Jesus Christ, so I guess another week wouldn’t hurt.  I at least know my traveling companions for that week….
“Mr. Hesler at California was marvelous.  So was Mr. Yoes[?] at Dexter.  But Mrs. Heslor was a funny one – an Easterner – no sense of humor & Mr. Hesler was clever as can be – She got funny notions. However I had no intention of taking her husband away.  I didn’t even know she had this notion until we left…."
--Letter from my mother, Charleston, Missouri, to her family, [likely in Hutchison, Kans.], Saturday, July 27, 1946.

No comments:

Post a Comment