Jul 5, 2016

Thu, Jul 11, 1946: observation car

"After I left Washington I stayed in the observation car until it got so dark that I couldn't see the scenery any longer.  It happened there was a man there who rides over that line about forty times a month.  He knew every crook and turn and made things much more interesting...Mrs. Howes was there waiting for me [in Chicago]....We went down to the Marshall Field store and looked at the many, many beautiful things they had for sale.  It was fun riding up and down on the escalators.  We ate our lunch in their beautiful cafeteria.... By staying in Chicago a day I missed out on getting dinner for threshers Wed. However to-morrow Myers and I shall probably get dinner together."

--Letter from my grandmother, Bloomington, Kans., to my father, Washington, D.C., Thursday, July 11, 1946.  My grandmother was returning to Kansas, after having visited my father in Washington, D.C.

No comments:

Post a Comment