Sep 2, 2017

Tue, Sep 2, 1947: identification test

"To the World History and Constitution classes I gave an identification test on American & World leaders. I used forty magazine cover sized pictures and showed them with no name attached.  Many students recognized only three or four.  The highest score, 24, was made by Benny Zane, son of the school secretary.  I considered that very good.  40 out of 41 in the two classes recognized Pres. Truman and Bing Crosby, 39 recognized FDR, the only non-living man in the group.  Others among the tabulation--Dewey, 28, Stalin 21, Eisenhower, 28, Gov. Carlson 1, Henry A. Wallace 3, Senators Vandenburg & Conally 0, Warren Austin 0, Benny Goodman 11.  Several mistook Wallace for former Gov. Schoeppel....
"I met your friend, Dr. Glenn, today.  A southwestern man, Class of '34, he has a lot of vim and vigor... Also, the doctor said that he used to date Thelma Snyder when they were in college.  Then he mentioned the fact that your father later went with Thelma. 'I guess that he didn't marry her on account of the children.' he added."

--Letter from my father, Protection, Kans., to my mother, Hutchinson, Kans., Tuesday, September 2, 1947.

No comments:

Post a Comment