Nov 14, 2017

Fri, Nov 14, 1947: gumption

"Lena just now came in holding out her left hand.  She had a glass doorknob on her third finger, and said she had been  ut hanging clothes, and it had been love at first sight, but he only gave her a small ring, since it was all he could afford it.
"More of our cleverness.  Thelma has your picture carefully curtained with Kleenex.  She has two long pieces hung on a string so that just your head peeks out.  She says I can pull the curtai ns if I get mad at you....
"I had my scaredest counselee, Corrine Gwin, for supper tonight, and got the nearest to her that I have yet.  I believe she will come out of it in time.  She said her mother, father, two sisters, and three brothers, went to school at Manhattan, but she wanted to come here so she could be herself and not just the youngest in a family, so I think she must have some gumption. She is worried about Chemistry, though."
--Letter from my mother, Winfield, Kans., to my father, Protection, Kans., Friday, November 14, 1947. Two typos per original typewritten letter.

No comments:

Post a Comment