Nov 9, 2017

Sun, Nov 9, 1947: powers of slumber

"The trip to Protection was a memorable one.  Jim Basore accompanied me as far as Wichita--accompanied my snores that is.  At Wichita Union Station I made a beeline for a bench in the waiting room-my bed for the night.  Jim called his brother-in-law; then stretched out on the adjoining wooden bench.  Vaguely I remember prying open one eye to bid Jim goodbye.  In a flash it was 5 a.m..  I was afraid to go bak to sleep; so I got up for a snack of breakfast soon after--then the Protection-bound doodle-bug at 6. Three other teachers and Melba Maris, a senior, were aboard.  Apparently my powers of slumber amazed them.  The four-hour journey out to these regions of the plains seemed remarkably short to me.  They complained of the rough ride--the bumps which awakenedthem--and each time they glanced in my direction to see a sound sleeper."

--Letter from my father, Protection, Kans., to my mother, Winfield, Kans., evening, Sunday, November 9, 1947. Two typos per original typewritten letter.

No comments:

Post a Comment