Oct 1, 2011

Wed, Oct 1, 1941: your laundry

"Dear DeVere:- Am mailing your laundry to you this morning.  I got home from Winfield O.K. and Daddy was here so we papered the ceiling in your room upstairs....Did your extra bed clothes feel pretty good?  We have to take Stanley's roosters to Augusta to-day.  Hope you are O.K.  With Love Mother."
--Postcard from my grandmother, Jessie Maybelle (Berger) Brown, Bloomington, Kans., to my father, Sidney DeVere Brown, Southwestern College, Winfield, Kans., Wednesday, October 1, 1941.
      My grandmother wrote my father this letter, just as he was starting his freshman year at Southwestern College, a Methodist school 30 miles south of my grandparents' farm.  She apparently had driven down to the college to drop off my father (16 years old at the time), while my grandfather stayed at the farm.  Note that he mailed home his dirty laundry and she washed it and mailed it back to him.

No comments:

Post a Comment