Jul 28, 2014

Fri, Jul 28, 1944: training cruise

"Yesterday 50 of us took a training cruise in two army crash boats on Lake Michigan.  We went by bus and train to Michigan City- our point of embarkation.  By 9 A.M. we were ready to shove off.  And then things began to happen.  The Lake was very rough, so our little ship with 104 ft. overall length bounced around considerably.  By 11 A.M. I was all set to ask for permanent shore duty -- and wishing I had joined the army where there is solid ground underfoot at least.  However, my condition wasn't as bad as that of quite a few of the boys, since I was able to eat a hearty dinner, and in the afternoon, when the Lake calmed down I really enjoyed myself."
-- Letter from my father, Notre Dame, Ind., to his family, Bloomington, Kans., Friday, July 28, 1944.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment