Feb 11, 2015

Sun, Feb 11, 1945: pen pal

"Dearest DeVere:- We certainly appreciated your letter last week.  In fact we let several people read it.  Daddy gave it to Ruby and Homer to read, then Barbara took it to school and let some of the kids and faculty read it.  Among the faculty members were Mr. Gustafson and Mr. Hayes who said as he began reading 'My favorite reading material.'...
"We received this card from your Belgian pen pal yesterday.  Evidently he has gotten your name mixed with Stanley's or something.  I suppose you can send him only a post card also.  Don't you suppose you could write to the boy in Holland now that most of Germans are out of there?"

-- Letter from my grandmother, Bloomington, Kans., to my father, Boulder, Colo., Sunday, February 11, 1945.  This was the first my father had heard from his Belgian pen pal, since the war had started.  He had a second European pen pal in Holland, from whom he hadn't heard.

No comments:

Post a Comment