Aug 19, 2015

Sun, Aug 19, 1945: happy at home

"Dear Folks:
"I suppose that you're happy at home to hear about the war's end.
"We took three days off from the usual routine in celebration.  Monday night we spent the whole night listening to an air raid siren 50 yds. from the dorm.  Tuesday I went to Denver.  Wednesday was a day of rest.  Thursday we rode a train to Cheyenne, Wyo. and back.  Then Friday and Saturday brought a resummation of classes."

-- Letter from my father, Boulder, Colo., to his family, Bloomington, Kans., Sunday, August 19, 1945.  My father wrote in his memoir, “V-J Day, Victory over Japan Day, August 14, touched off a three-day national celebration.  One of those days I spent in Denver with Norma Harrold, the Kansas girl who had gotten in touch with me.  My principal duty was to protect her from soldiers and sailors randomly kissing willing girls.  My officer’s uniform caused these roving enlisted men to back off.”

No comments:

Post a Comment