Nov 11, 2017

Tue, Nov 11, 1947: grand time

"The life of a cook in rush week!  By not working at the library, I did manage to get supper on--early at that, and hurry through the dishes so I could journey to Wellington to skate with the Jinx Janes.  We had a grand time as usual & I ate a whole 'nother meal afterwards--we had hamburgers & cocoa at Lois Mae's house...
"Your orchid did cause a splash.  People mentioned it even yesterday after I quit wearing it.  As sensible as I am, and unimpressed by material things--supposedly--it still did something.  But it was the love & thoughtfulness behind it that mean more--and I still have those, even if the flower is a little tired-looking."

--Letter from my mother, Winfield, Kans., to my father, Protection, Kans., morning, Tuesday, November 11, 1947. Jinx Janes was a women's pep club at Southwestern College.

No comments:

Post a Comment