Jul 14, 2016

Sun, July 14, 1946: preachers

“But Mr. Hesler now!  I heard his step in the church yesterday noon & knew that’s what it was – then his face appeared – young, earnest, clean & healthy looking.  I nearly hugged him & he has been just like we dreamed.  I had almost forgotten about preachers who know what’s going on and really take an interest in their people and have good constructive ideas.  He’s not better than average probably, but he seemed heavenly to us….
“After waking up – Sleep is a marvelous invention.  I am much encouraged now.  We had cokes with the lady & fed the dog cookies.  This better be as good as week in all respect as the people we’ve met so far.  I think I can even write the thank you notes to Cuba now – after I read the funnies, which I haven’t read since I left home.”
-- Letter from my mother, California, Mo., to his father and sister, Hutchinson, Kans., July 14, 1946.  The Youth Caravan was a program in which teams of Methodist young adults  travelled for two months in the summer to several churches in a region away from their home, staying with church members, and helping the churches improve their youth programs.

No comments:

Post a Comment