Jul 30, 2016

Tue, Jul 30, 1946: a civilian

"Have you wondered what has happened to me?  I'm a civilian now -- and have been since about noon last Friday -- but there has been no time to write until now....
“Last Friday at 6 A.M. Walt Brunhumer came by my room to awaken me. After a hearty breakfast we still managed to get to the discharge center behind only Jim Spillane and Phil Walker--two Boulder men.  By the time they unlocked the center (7:45) a sizeable crowd was gathered.  We were early enough to go through with the first group.  After filling out many forms and hearing a number of instructive lectures, 23 signatures and five finger printings later -- we had our discharge buttons and certificates in our possession.  The center had a congenial staff--the old medical captain with his amusing quips: 'Were you nervous in the service, son?' and 'Don't you know that you were too old to have measles?' the personnel man who gave us a lot of angles on GI benefits which we hadn't thought about--some of which might evade the spirit of the laws, and the athletic-minded chaplain with his anecdotes about football: 'Even though the football season is over keep in there pitching for the old school'--this he applied to our case by substituting the words 'country' and 'war'....
"My plans call for a trip up to Chicago tomorrow to see John.  Aunt Nell thinks it would be nice if I stop here on the way back through since Uncle Orville's Aunt Frances, and Joyce will be here--so I'll be around for the family dinner Sunday--and I may stay on until Tuesday since Aunt Nell thinks it would be a good idea.  Also, I plan to stop over in Missouri -- so I don't know exactly what day I'll be back home."

--Letter from my father, Decatur, Illinois, to his family, Bloomington, Kans., Tuesday, July 30, 1946.

No comments:

Post a Comment