Sep 19, 2017

Fri, Sep 19, 1947: dark secrets

"And now I think it's really time I enlighten you.  When those men want to tell you all the dark secrets, you can just say you already know all about it, because here they are: Women with put-up hair aren't so attractive--but you've already seen me that way.  As Uncle Bill says, you may get leftovers on washday--but I'll try not to offend too greatly.  I've already explained that I'm not slender & graceful like the pictures of Petty girls. And you've seen me in my less sweet moods already.  So there's no more to worry about.  As for me, I can hardly wait.  Even reading a philosophy text reminds me of you!  And it was so much more fun to read it & pick out things to talk to you about."

--Letter from my mother, Winfield, Kans., to my father, Protection, Kans., Friday, September 19, 1947.

No comments:

Post a Comment