Sep 17, 2017

Wed, Sep 17, 1947: the band

"By a moment of indecision I got myself into a job tomorrow. I think that I'll like the job, except for one factor, the necessity for being at the schoolhouse at 4;30 a.m.  I plan to hit the bed immediately after supper, hence the letter now.  Here's hoping I won't suffer from temporary insomnia.  This afternoon King approached to say, "You want to go to Hutchinson with the band tomorrow, don't you?'. I replied I might like to.  Thinking it over, it occured to me that I could make better use of the day by sleeping late and taking up Ben Hicks on his offer of a trip to Ashland to get some fresh meat.  By that time, however, they had fixed me up as a sponsor of the bus.  Nearly all of the women teachers are going.  In this particular bus, however, are grouped most of the tough boys of the school.  Helman wants a man to handle them; otherwise he would have to redistribute them among th3e various buses.  Since it would entail a change in his plans I told him that I would do it.  It should be fun--but 4:30 comes very early in the morning."

--Letter from my father, Protection, Kans., to my mother, Winfield, Kans., Wednesday, September 17, 1947. Typos per original typewritten letter.

No comments:

Post a Comment