Jul 10, 2013

Sat, Jul 10, 1943: drive the tractor



“I have to do the separating since you left.  I have learned to drive the tractor-at least I got five loads of hay by myself, when we were stacking.  When we were putting hay in the barn I 'dumped it.'  Barbara Jean and I both burned our hands when the rope slipped thru them.  That was Wednesday.  My hands are about well now.  It didn't stop me from using my hands though.”
-- Letter from my aunt, Barbara Brown, Bloomington, Kans., to my father, Cape Girardeau, Mo., July 10, 1943.  My father's 15-year-old sister apparently had to overcome some resistance in order to be allowed to drive the tractor.  In a letter dated the following day, my father mentioned Barbara’s efforts to “get her way about helping outside.”  On this day, July 10, U.S. and British forces began their invasion of Sicily.

No comments:

Post a Comment