Jul 6, 2013

Tue, Jul 6, 1943: my ducks



“Dear Devere:
“On the fourth of July I celebrated with one firecracker and some caps.  I will tell you the name of my ducks DeVere, Sailor, Soldier, and Marine.  The names of my kittens are Fuzzy, Navy, Army, Victory, and Cape Giradeau.  I call one of Tiny's cat Mississippi.
[second postcard:] “Cape Girardeau was at the top of the pine tree trying to catch some birds tonight Army and Navy playing around the pine tree.  We started to put hay in the barn but it rained us out I hope you are wearing a Navy suit and be sure to send me a picture of you with it on.  We got both of your cards today.
“Stanley.”
--Postcards from my uncle, Stanley Brown, age 10, Bloomington, Kans., to my father, Sidney DeVere Brown, age 18, Cape Girardeau, Mo., Tuesday, July 6, 1943.  This is the complete text of two postcards my uncle sent my father.

No comments:

Post a Comment